Wednesday, December 9, 2009

recent projects

I've known how to sew since I was a kid, but until recently, I've never been able to sew clothes that were genuinely wearable. Either the fit was off, the construction was shoddy, or the design was ill-conceived. But this fall, I decided it was time to up my game and signed up for a pattern-making class at Haberman Fabrics in Royal Oak.
Here are some of the projects I've been inspired to try since then:

the belted jacket



This jacket is based on Simplicity 3631. I tried to sew this jacket last year, but wasn't pleased with how it came out. This time, I used 100% wool, which made a huge difference, and I narrowed the sleeves to make the flare less extreme. I also used french seams for the first time, thanks to this helpful tutorial from the blog Sew, Mama, Sew!. By the time I finished sewing the jacket, I had more or less missed the season for it. But it's one of the first garments I've sewed that didn't look or feel "homemade," even on the inside.

the yellow cashmere coat





This was an ambitious project for me, and it was definitely a learning experience. I used Butterick 5145, and fabulous yellow cashmere coating from Haberman's that I absolutely adore. There were a lot of firsts for this project: first time sewing with coating, first time using shoulder pads, first time sewing a lined jacket of any kind. The finished product definitely has some issues, but I think it's still wear-able, and I really like some of the design elements, like the ribbon I used to attach the buttons.

the funky wool skirt



This skirt is the first pattern I've drafted myself after creating a sloper in my pattern-making class. The pattern is based on one of my favorite ready-to-wear skirts, which is a real go-to in my winter wardrobe.



I did make a few changes to my pattern, like adding a wider waistband, which I think is both more comfortable and more flattering than the original. I love the way it fits, especially in the derriere.



I also tried a new technique for inserting an invisible zipper, which looks very clean and professional on the inside, and, well, invisible on the outside. Thanks so much to Kathleen and her blog, Fashion Incubator, for this excellent tutorial, and to Johanna for pointing me towards it.

Now we're caught up, stay tuned for more projects in the works!

No comments:

Post a Comment